Sharjah wants more visitors from this country

Supplied

Sharjah wants to attract more Russian tourists.

The emirate's tourism authority says it welcomed 328,000 overnight visitors from the country last year, a 23 per cent increase from 2017.

But the Sharjah Commerce and Tourism Development Authority (SCTDA) has adopted a new strategy aimed at highlighting the city's attractions and facilities to Russians.

They want to promote the emirate as a year-round family vacation destination.

“With the influx of Russian tourists visiting the emirate, we at SCTDA are working hard to sustain this trend," said His Excellency Khalid Jasim Al Midfa, Chairman of SCTDA

"We will collaborate with our partners in the country to establish an even stronger presence and draw more international travelers to our shores. Expanding our presence in Russia through our partnerships with key local tourism and travel players is of extreme significance to us."

More from Business

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.